A History of Hall Lane

Pelsall Hall stands at the top of Hall Lane.  Pelsall Hall, where it stands today, first existed in 1616.

In 1622 Pelsall Hall belonged to Mr Dickenson of Pelsall and Mr Sparrey of Kings Norton.  In 1637 it is recorded as being the property of George Craddock, being given to him by his mother Elizabeth Craddock of Caverswall Castle.

In 1638 George Craddock married Dorothy Saunders.  In 1643 George died of smallpox and Pelsall Hall became the property of Dorothy Craddock.

In 1647 Dorothy Craddock married Sir Orlando Bridgeman.  A document dated 1649 records Pelsall Hall as belonging to Sir Orlando Bridgeman and Dame Dorothy Bridgeman.

In 1752 Pelsall Hall became the property of the Hussey family of Little Wyrley.

  In 1785 they sold Pelsall Hall to Isaac Charles.

From 1785 to 1917, Pelsall Hall belonged to generations of the Charles family.

 

The main entrance to Pelsall Hall opened onto Hall Lane. 

Some of the grounds together with a tennis court can be seen in the photograph above.

Photograph copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

Although rather faded, this photograph which includes Charles family members shows the original Hall Lane entrance to Pelsall Hall

Photograph copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

Charles family members are seen above playing a game of tennis on the lawns of Pelsall Hall

Photograph copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

Although it is impossible to see from the photograph of the tennis lawn, Pelsall Hall Colliery, as seen above, stood directly opposite to Pelsall Hall, at the top of Mouse Hill.

There were at least two previous halls in Pelsall, the earliest one being situated directly opposite to the current Pelsall Hall. 

According to Stebbing Shaw early mining activities in this area seemed to have buried any trace of this ancient moated Pelsall Hall.

Photograph copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

Hall Lane Cottage, as seen above, once existed at the top of Hall Lane.

The photograph below puts the cottage into perspective as St Michael and All Angels Church can be seen behind it.

These photographs were taken by Beatrice Charles in 1894

Copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

Photograph copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

By 1896 John Smith Charles of Pelsall Hall had been in the habit of planting young trees in Hall Lane in place of old trees which had been blown down.  This was done for the beauty and service of the parish so that in the summer people could enjoy the shade of the trees and in the winter could be shielded from the bad weather.

Hall Lane's Gated Cemetery

Photograph copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

On the entrance to Hall Lane cemetery, the plaque on the pillar reads:

These Gates were Presented by the Mothers of Pelsall

in Honour of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee  June 20th 1897

Photograph copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

The Mothers of Pelsall are seen above photographed in the grounds of

Pelsall Hall in 1897

Photograph copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

St Michael and All Angels Church, Hall Lane, Pelsall, as seen above was built in 1843.  This Church was to take the place of the 1311 Church which once stood in Paradise Lane

Mr John Smith Charles and Mrs Annie Snowdin Charles were very keen to make the new Churchyard beautiful.  It is reported that through the kindness and energy of Mr and Mrs Charles an avenue of firs and beeches were planted together with other ornamental trees to beautify the Churchyard. 

The family were keen to realise their ambition of creating a Churchyard which would remind people that it is 'God's Acre'.

In the photograph above, Victorian children can be seen laying flowers at a grave in St Michael and All Angels Churchyard

Peolsford House once stood at the Church end of Hall Lane.  The property was built for and belonged to Dr John Roger Charles.

In September 1914, Dr John Roger Charles welcomed two parties of Belgian refugees to stay at Peolsford House.

In the photograph above a group of Belgian refugees can be seen sitting outside of Peolsford House

Photograph copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

The front door and porch as seen above and below used to belong to a property along Hall Lane.  It was believed that the door and porch was purchased from Pelsall Hall at the 1917 auction.

Photograph above copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

Although the door had been hung backwards, the initials in the stained glass could still be seen, that is:   JRC 1901 AMGC 

The initials stood for John Roger Charles and Alice Mary Gertrude Charles.

The date, 1901 was significant in that John Smith Charles, father of John Roger Charles, passed away in this year at which point Dr John Roger Charles would have inherited Pelsall Hall, as he was the eldest son.  Hence it is believed that the front door may have been made especially for John Roger Charles and his wife Alice Mary Gertude Charles as they inherited Pelsall Hall.

Photograph copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

Alice Mary Gertrude Charles and Dr John Roger Charles

Photograph copyright A Bates - Pelsall Times

Parklands, as seen above, is the last property in Hall Lane following the Church, on the opposite side of the road. Parklands was built in 1924 by Mr Turner who was connected with Wilkes Foundry.  Parklands was to be the image of a Victorian property.

Back in 2007, the owners of Parklands allowed Mr Andrew Weller, Chairman of Pelsall History Centre to photograph this historic property.

Back in 1977 the owners of Parklands opened their gardens to celebrations for the

Queen's Silver Jubilee

All photographs related to Parklands, courtesy of Mr Andrew Weller 

Pelsall History Centre